If you are looking for a gift for someone who has a baby held in their hearts instead of their arms, or ideas to commemorate, memorialise and celebrate the life of your own little one, I have put together the following list of ideas and sites. There are some truly wonderful companies out there now who provide beautiful services and products which can bring comfort and healing for those grieving the loss of a child.
I welcome you to also see the Resources/support pages and phone numbers page for links to helpful services and information, including for friends and family, and for siblings who may be grieving.
**A note to friends and family of bereaved parents – A precious gift you can always give at any moment is sending someone a message letting them know you are thinking of them and their lost little one/s. Having a message sent to us has made all the difference some days. The kindest and most helpful thing you can do is tell someone you remember their baby and show how much they matter. Ackowledge their baby on special occasions and mark their anniversaries/birthday to remember such important dates.**
Click underlined words to direct you to sites. (Please note there i am not affiliated with any of these sites/companies and there is no sponsorship of any kind involved in providing these links)
- Memorial print . A Beautiful Remembrance creates beautiful art prints for those grieving the loss of a baby or child. Prints can include beautiful sayings, dates and details, images from scans of actual footprints and even ultrasounds turned into watercolour prints.
- My Missing Piece– beautiful keepsakes specifically for losses up to 12 weeks gestation
- Special candle/candle holder This company prints personalised candles which you can put a child’s name/date/message on
- Memory record keepsake book This site sells two books in the ‘remembering me’ collection. One is especially designed for parents with a baby no longer in their arms but forever in their hearts and the other is for bereaved siblings which is designed to give them their own space to grieve, create memories of their own and to spend time thinking and honouring the memory of their precious Brother or Sister that lives in their heart.
- A tree to watch grow. We had family and friends write on or decorate a stone to put around a frangipani tree a close friend bought us after Elliott was born, so his tree is surround my love as it grows.
- Keepsake with the baby’s name This site makes beautiful wooden keepsake toys with names engraved on them, This site creates a range of personalised keepsakes
- Memorial Ocean Art
- Embroidered bear
- Register a star in a name
- Jewellery bead eg Pandora or one with photo/name and date
- Wind chime
- Framed print/photo
- Special Christmas decoration in their memory
- Angel or Jizo statue/figurine (Japanese protector of children no longer here) Depending on the person and their faith
- Make a donation to a support/research organisation for pregnancy and infant loss (such as Sands, Sids and Kids, Red Nose, Bears of Hope) in honour of an angel.
- Donate a Bears Of Hope Gift Package to a hospital in honour of a baby special to you, or purchase their Bears Of Hope gifts for yourself or a friend.
- A kite/s for the family to fly for their lost one/s. You could even write the angels name on it. When we fly our kites I always think of Elliott, flying high and free and dancing in the wind.
- A birdbath or bird feeder. We took our children and all chose a bird bath together as a Christmas present for Elliott. We love watching the little birds play in the water and come to our garden.
- Flowers, later on as time goes by to let them know you are STILL thinking of them
- “Events” to commemorate their life. A month After Elliott was born we held a day for friends and family to celebrate Elliott’s life. Read about his day and what we did for it HERE. There are also public days organised by organisations such as bears of hope, sands, sids and kids NT etc you can attest. Have a look at your nearest bereavement organisation for events close to you.
- You can host a “tea to remember” and even fundraise through the tea for SANDs Australia (Sands – Miscarriage, Stillbirth and Newborn Death Support organisation). Information pack on hosting a “tea to remember” can be viewed HERE